The Montreal AI Ethics Institute is an international non-profit organization democratizing AI ethics literacy. We equip citizens concerned about artificial intelligence to take action because we believe that civic competence is the foundation of change. You are our best shot at a future where humans and algorithms bring out the best in each other.
What we do
- We organize public consultations to include the public’s voice when policymakers ask us to respond to proposals.
- We support declarations and movements that we believe can make a difference, like the Montreal Declaration for a Responsible Development of AI, and the European Digital Rights’ call for AI red lines in the European Union’s AI proposal.
How we make money
- Direct donations from our supporters. Every dollar you donate helps us pay for our staff and tech stack.
- Paid subscriptions to our newsletter. Paid subscriptions simply keep the content free for everyone — there is no exclusive content for paying users.
- Ticket sales from some of our events. These help to sustain the staff and go towards purchasing technical solutions like Zoom to host the sessions.
- Corporate sponsors for our content. To learn more, get in touch with our business development manager. Sponsorship is subject to our contributions policy.
- Accessibility. We have an open access policy for all our content so that it can be adapted by anyone, and never paywall anything. Learn more about our open access policy.
- Readers first. We respect our readers’ time, attention, and privacy. That’s why we avoid: clickbaity headlines, software that tracks our readers, and writing content that’s longer than it needs to be.
- Ethical revenue generation. Because our business model focuses on sponsored content and donations, we don’t have to optimize for clicks — we can write unsexy content like summaries of research papers. Nor do we need to collect and sell our readers’ data to third parties — we use Fathom Analytics rather than Google Analytics, even if it costs us a few extra bucks. You can support our efforts with a donation.
Press (see full list here)
Want quick summaries of the latest research & reporting in AI ethics delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to The AI Ethics Brief. We write every week.